Travelers are advised to adjust their watches before arriving in the new time zone.
2. Arbitrary adj. Chosen simply by whim or chance, not for any specific reason
The decision to build a school in Blackberry Township was arbitrary, without any thought to future housing patterns.
3. Denominator n. The number written below the line in a fraction
In the fraction 1⁄2, the number 2 is the denominator.
4. Exponentially adv. At a very fast rate
In Turkey, the value of the lira has decreased exponentially in the last several decades.
5. Infinitesimal adj. Immeasurably small
The number of contaminants in the water was infinitesimal, so the water was safe to drink.
6. Maximize v. To increase or make as great as possible
A coach helps each athlete maximize his or her potential.
7. Parallel adj. Being an equal distance apart everywhere
The street where I live runs parallel to the main road through town.
8. Proportion n. A part in relation to the whole
The average employee spends a large proportion of each workday answering e-mails.
9. Rate n. The cost per unit of a good or service; the motion or change that happens in a certain time.
Postal rates in Japan are among the highest in the world. Some grasses grow at the rate of one inch per day.
10. Sequence v. To organize or arrange in succession
Volunteers have been asked to sequence the files and organize the boxes.