A: Infinitive is the base form of the verb such as to eat, to play, to work. Gerund is a verbal noun having the –Ing form as: eating, playing and working. Participle is the –Ing form working as an adjective e.g. Playing, Eating, Enjoying. The three concepts are collectively known as the Verbals. For example:
- I want to go now. Infinitive
- You arranged to meet me at the station. Infinitive
- She dislikes watching TV. Gerund
- He enjoys reading books. Gerund
- They avoided meeting me. Gerund
- Crossing the road, I saw a beautiful mosque. Participle
The first option A above is correct. In ‘Look forward to’, ‘To’ is a preposition so it must take a gerund -Ing form. ‘I am looking forward to meeting you’ is correct but ‘
I am looking forward to meet you‘ is incorrect.
1. Read and provide the correct verbal forms.
Ali was in his first year at university, studying History. He was rather a lazy student, and he tended to avoid (work) whenever he could. In the middle of the semester, his history professor gave out an assignment, due in two weeks. Yuri intended (do) the assignment, but he postponed (write) it for a week. The following week, he forgot (do) it. The night before the assignment was due, he suddenly remembered it, and rushed to the library. He tried (read) as much as possible on the topic, but there wasn’t enough time. Yuri considered (ask) for more time to do his paper, but the History professor was known to be very tough on students, so finally he decided (cheat) and copy his paper from somewhere else. He found an old article on the same topic, and quickly typed it out. The next day, he submitted the paper. The following week, he was alarmed (see) the professor approaching him, looking angry. “Is this your own work, or did you copy it?” asked the professor. Ali denied (copy) the paper. “If you expect me (believe) that, you must be very stupid,” said the professor. “Every word is taken from an article I wrote myself one year ago. Did you really think I would forget (write) it?”
2. Correct the following sentences.
1. Every one wants to going abroad.
2. She does not works for Pakistani Airlines.
3. We had better to hurry to the station.
4. Our main objective is training young teachers.
5. The students go to mosque for praying to God.
6. He daily comes to me for improving his skills.
7. The father made his son to write a long essay.
8. How dare you to talk like that?
9. You need not to worry about these things.
10. You would rather work than to beg.
11. Yesterday, I saw him to crossing the road.
12. At the end, he agreed helping me with that.
13. She entered the hall to secretly tell everything.
14. I taught him speaking English in ten months.
15. The teacher said me to close the door.
16. He forbade me from going out in the rain.
3. Correct the following sentences.
1. Watching of fiction movies makes one a myth.
2. Play football is a good hobby.
3. In my free time, I enjoy to listen to music.
4. She could not bear me speaking so well.
5. A believer always looks forward to meet God.
6. He couldn’t finish to compose the book today.
7. You must consider to apply these changes.
8. I don’t mind teach under these conditions.
9. Let us try to wear this dress.
10. You don’t need tell him. I have already done it.
11. The machine needs oil.
12. He suggested to stay at hotels during the visit.
13. We don’t allow to shout in the lab.
14. The traveler saw the setted sun.
15. The food was eating by animals.
16. In the movie, we watched the danced girl.
17. Do you know the man work in the fields?
18. Travelling in the desert, It started to rain.
19. Being so cold, we stayed indoors.
20. Climbing down the ladder, the eggs broke.
21. See the lion, the hunter decided running away; but he couldn’t help hunt the lion.